ADJUNCTIVE SUPPORT FOR YOUR CANCER TREATMENT
Do you suffer from the side effects of your cancer treatment?
It is very common to experience variety of symptoms whilst receiving conventional treatments for cancer, these include: nausea, fatigue, lack of appetite, constipation, skin irritations, neurological sensations (pins & needles). Whilst these symptoms are distressing and annoying, with the permission of your oncologist you can mitigate the side effects of conventional treatments by adjunctive support.
What is Adjunctive Support for Cancer?
Adjunctive support is defined as using a therapy (nutritional or otherwise) which is used in conjunction with chemotherapy or radiotherapy to optimise the anti-cancer effects of treatment, whilst minimising the side affects. Adjunctive therapy is used by many oncologists in therapeutic settings. Oncologists who integrate other therapies to support conventional treatments, practice integrative oncology,.
How does adjunctive therapy help the body to get better?
Conventional treatments deplete the body of various nutrients which can initiate a range of symptoms. Adjunctive therapy replenishes the body of essential nutrients to help rebuild tissues and organs, and to restore homeostasis. These nutrients include amongst others, the B-vitamins, (vitamins B1 and B2 in particular), Zinc, Magnesium Selenium and the Anti-oxidant vitamins A, C and E.
Once conventional treatments have run their course, it is helpful to consider gentle detoxification and cleansing techniques which help to reduce symptoms. Both chemotherapy and radiotherapy create cellular damage, which induces the immune system to clean up the damaged tissues. This inflammatory process is what triggers the symptoms of muscle aches, headaches, fatigue and constipation and mood changes. Proper detoxification supports and speeds up this process.
Detoxification should not be done immediately after treatment, as this will nullify the effect of what the treatment is intended to have on the cancer. Therefore timing is critical when to apply the detox program.
For optimal detoxification, it is best to customise your specific needs according to your metabolism. The process of detoxification is complex and the liver has many pathways to detoxification.
Some people are weak in methylation or glutathione pathways, some people are weak in Phase I detoxification. If this is the case, then we can potentially see a build up in toxins within the liver and the body, which increases the side effects experienced by the patient.
Supporting all the channels of toxin elimination is needed. This means supporting the Liver, Colon, Skin and Kidneys to do their job properly. The following tasks are things you can do to boost elimination and gentle detoxification.
- Drinking 8 cups of water / day with additional green tea, or vegetable juices.
- Gentle exercise – 30 minutes / day
- Sauna Therapy: infra red saunas are best for 20-30 minutes / day
- Coffee Enemas – 1 to 2 times per day.
Listed below are some natural interventions you can add to your diet, or routine to help you recover from your treatments:
Nutrients to mitigate side effects of conventional treatment
|SIDE EFFECT||NATURAL STRATEGIES|
|NAUSEA||Ginger, Acupuncture, Yarrow Tea, Vitamin B6|
|FATIGUE||CoQ10, Exercise, L-carnitine|
|NUMBNESS, TINGLING||L-Glutamine, Vitamin E, B6, Acetyl-l-Carnitine|
|TASTE CHANGES||Zinc, bland tasting foods (potatoes, egg, yogurt|
|MOUTH SORES||L-glutamine, Zinc, Vitamin E, Honey, Chamomile Tea|
|LACK OF APPETITE||Zinc, Fish Oil, Cod Liver Oil.|
|INSOMNIA||Melatonin, 5-HTP, Magnesium oil, Chamonmile tea|
|CONSTIPATION||Probiotics Slippery Elm / Mashmallow, coffee/ tea in the morning|
|DIARRHEA||probiotics, activated charcoal, fermented foods.|
These nutrient and botanical suggestions are from clinical experience of naturopathic oncologists. Please discuss with your Physician or Oncologist before including any of the interventions listed above.
The research on nutrient and herbal interactions with conventional cancer treatments is quite limited and it is currently based upon integrative oncologists or naturopathic oncologists experience of working directly with patients.
The following chemotherapy drugs have specific nutrient/ herbal interactions. Customising your nutrient / herbal intake to your treatment is recommended.
Carboplatin, Cisplatin, Cyclophosamide, Doxorubicin, Etoposide, Fluorouracil, Gemcitabine, Ifosfamide, Irinotecan, Methotrexate, Oxaplatin, Paclitaxel, Topotecan, Vinblastine, Vincristine.
For a more specific detoxification and adjunctive protocol according to your treatment, please provide the following information:
Date of Birth
Type and stage of cancer
Details of conventional treatment
Main symptoms experienced.
Read and sign the disclaimer form and submit to schedule your consultation.
INITIAL CONSULTATION 1.5 HOURS – $1,700 HKD
FOLLOW UP CONSULTATIONS 30 MINUTE INCREMENTS – $700 HKD
3 CONSULTATION PACKAGE: $2650 HKD
- I understand Miles Price is not a medical doctor, does not practice medicine or provide medical diagnosis or treatment. Miles Price is not able to prescribe medicine nor advise on any side effects of any medicine.
- The education provided by Miles Price is for improving health through body cleansing and maintaining health through quality nutritional and lifestyle practices.
- I understand that nutrition is not an exact science. I acknowledge that no claims or guarantees have been made to me regarding my health as a result of my using the disciplines taught by Miles Price.
- I accept full responsibility for applying advice I obtained and for any risks that may be involved in applying for these health principles.
- I should consult my medical doctor, oncologist or radiologist for any medical advice and do so at my own risk.
- I agree to promptly notify Miles Price of any felt or observed changes in my health or of any inability or unwillingness to completely follow the nutritional program he has outlined for me.
- I will consult and discuss with my oncologist or physician the nutritional support I obtain from Miles Price.
- I will obtain agreement from my oncologist that adjunctive support is being utilised.